Wellington Astronomical Society is an incorporated society and registered charity for promoting astronomy in and around the Wellington region.
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and WAS
The June society meeting will again be held online. Detail of the meeting and how to access it will be in the newsletter, on Facebook and on this link. Our meetings are open to members and non-members, all welcome.
In view of the current COVID-19 level 2 situation all of our events are currently cancelled. We hope to be able to start holding events shortly. In the mean time our policy remains as below:
- WAS Society monthly meetings at Space Place are cancelled. In the meantime we will have the meetings online. We will resume the regular monthly meeting as soon as possible.
- All public events, such as the events we run on the Wellington waterfront and school events, are suspended. We hope to be able to resume these prior to the Matariki season as this is the time of year when we run many events.
- The Beatrice Hill Tinsley public lecture tour is postponed. We hope to be able to run this later in the year depending on overseas travel restrictions and the availability of speakers.
- The RASNZ centennial conference scheduled for May has been postponed. The conference is be postponed until later in the year. Depending on Corona virus restrictions it will hopefully be recheduled in the 4th quarter. More information will be here and on the RASNZ website if there are changes. The NACAA, VSS and TTSO symposiums have also been cancelled.
- We will continue to produce and distribute our monthly news letter.
As things change we will update this web page and our Facebook page with any news or updates. If you have any questions, suggestions, or for further information please email [email protected]
At home and bored? We have a page of things for adults and kids of things to do and read. If you have a question about space or astronomy as a result you can use the “contact us” web page to ask questions. We hope you all stay safe and well. Hopefully normal activity will resume before too long.
Our Facebook page is at this link.